Welcome back. Go to your forms.


Form N-565, Application to Replace Certificate of Citizenship – Purpose and General Instructions

Form N-565 is the USCIS form which is used to apply for a replacement of the Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration of Intention or Repatriation Certificate. An individual may also use this form to apply for a special certificate of naturalization. A special certificate of naturalization will be required by the individual to prove that he is a US citizen, to a foreign country.

A Certificate of Naturalization is issued by the USCIS to a foreign national as a proof the person’s citizenship in the United States through the process of naturalization.

An individual is issued a Certificate of Citizenship by USCIS as proof, if the person acquires or derives US citizenship through his US citizen parents, if he was born outside the United States. Citizenship certificate is also issued if your parents became naturalized US citizens when you were below age 18, on meeting the special conditions of the American law.

Who can file Form N-565?

A US citizen may file form N-565, in order apply to replace certificate of citizenship or naturalization certificate, if the certificate issued by the USCIS was destroyed, mutilated, lost or stolen. You may also request a replacement, if your name was changed due to marriage, after your certificate was issued and if you have a court order related to your legal name change. In this case you may apply for a new document with your new name. A naturalized US citizen may apply for a special certificate of naturalization to establish his US citizenship to a foreign country.

General Instructions

If you are filing Form N-565, to replace certificate of citizenship or naturalization, in order to replace your mutilated certificate, you must attach the damaged document along with your application.

While applying for the replacement of certificate of citizenship due to name change, you must submit the original document issued by the USCIS and copy of the court order demonstrating your legal name change, along with your Form N-565.

You must submit a copy of your naturalization certificate if you are applying for a special certificate of Naturalization. You need not submit original documents unless it is required by the USCIS. Legible photocopies of the required documents may be submitted. Photographs required by the USCIS must be submitted along with your application. The completed application must be filed at the local USCIS office.

Processing of Form N-565

Make sure that you file the form with the right filing fees. Incomplete and unsigned forms will be rejected by the USCIS. Once you send your Form N-565 to the USCIS, it will first be checked for accuracy and completeness. All the initial evidence will be verified. Incomplete forms and forms without the required initial evidence will make you ineligible and will result in the denial of your application. If the evidence submitted by you is insufficient, you will be required to appear for an interview where your original documents will be verified. After the verification, if you are found to be eligible, you will be provided with the required certificate. If your application is denied, a written notice will be sent to you with the reasons for the denial of your application.

Goto Top