Welcome back. Go to your forms.


How do I Get a Green Card?

As it is well known, a Green Card is a permanent resident card issued to a foreign national who intends to reside permanently in the United States. Many foreign nationals believe that getting a Green Card and immigrating to the United States is an easy task. But that process is at times overwhelming. Some people enter the country by obtaining a non-immigrant visa and overstay that visa. But residing in the country illegally will result in a lot of difficulties. It will also lead to deportation and you may not be able to re-enter the country for a certain period of time.

You may overcome such difficulties by obtaining a permanent resident card that will allow you to reside and work permanently and legally in the United States. United States allows a foreign national to immigrate to the country and get a Green Card through few different ways.

Green Card Through Family Sponsorship

If you are a person who has an immediate family member in the United who is a US citizen, you may become eligible to immigrate to the United States through family based immigration. If you are an immediate relative (spouse, child below age 21 or a parent) of a US citizen, you can get a Green Card if the sponsoring US citizen files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on your behalf. You may become eligible for an immigrant visa if you belong to one of the preference categories, even if you are not an immediate relative of a US citizen. Similarly, you can get a Green card, if you are an immediate relative of a permanent resident.

Green Card Through Job Offers

If you do not have a relative in the United States who could sponsor you for permanent resident status in the United States, you may still become eligible for an immigrant visa, if you have a permanent full-time job offer in the United States. If not, you may get a Green Card by making an investment in an American business venture. If you need to be sponsored by a US employer, that particular employer must file Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.

Green Cards for Refugees and Asylees

If you are granted entry into the United States as a refugee or an asylee, you may become eligible for a Green Card. To become eligible in this category, you must be outside your home country, unable or unwilling to return to your country of nationality because of fear of persecution. One year after being granted refugee status, you may file the USCIS Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident and to get a Green Card.

Green Card Through the Official Lottery Program

People who do not qualify for permanent resident status under the above mentioned categories still have another option, that is the Green Card lottery program. You can enter this diversity visa lottery program, if your home country is in the list of Green Card lottery eligible countries. If you take part and win this lottery program, you may receive an immigrant visa, if you satisfy all the eligibility requirements and if you are eligible to enter into the United States. You can enter America as an immigrant with that visa and obtain a Green Card and reside there as a lawful permanent resident.

Goto Top