Welcome back. Go to your forms.


How do I Get a Working Visa?

Being a foreign national, to get into the United States, you must obtain a visa and you need to get a visa, based on the purpose of your travel. If you wish to visit someone in the United States, you may go for tourist visas and student visas to study in the country. Likewise, if you seek to work in America, you need to obtain permission to work there and you will have to obtain a work visa. You can also work in the country with an employment based Green Card or an employment authorization document. United States permits foreign nationals to work in America, provided that they hold valid work visas and some of these work visas require employer sponsorship. If you manage to get a temporary job in the United States, you may apply for a temporary work visa and if you get a permanent job in America, you may apply for an immigrant visa and for a Green Card. If you are a student or an exchange visitor, you may be permitted to accept employment in the country, in certain circumstances.

There are few different types of work visas and your prospective employer must obtain a labor certification prior to filing Form I-129, Petition for a Non-immigrant Worker, for you. Form I-129, must be filed by the sponsoring employer and that petition must be approved by the USCIS, before you file a petition for a non-immigrant worker visa.

Online Non-immigrant Visa Application

The visa application process involves several steps and you should file an application for a non-immigrant worker visa after the approval of Form I-129, filed by the employer. You must complete and file Form DS-160, Online Non-immigrant Visa Application and print the confirmation page that appears after you file your petition. You must also upload a digital photograph and that photo must meet the specifications.

Schedule an Interview

Followed by that, you will have to schedule your visa interview as the consulates and embassies do not schedule interviews and you may schedule an interview at a US Embassy or Consulate, in your home country. Interview wait times vary and it may depend on the visa category and on the location. Remember that, while scheduling an interview, you will be required to enter the receipt number that is printed on Form I-797, Notice of Action or on the approved Form I-129, Petition for a Non-immigrant Worker.

Pay the Required Fee

You will have to pay the visa application fee and the visa reciprocity fee and in certain cases you will have to pay the visa application fee before the interview and the visa reciprocity fee after the interview. If you are applying for a L visa, you will also be required to pay the Fraud Prevention and Detection fee and the Border Security Act fee.

Visa Interview

While going for the interview, you will have to take with you, your passport, visa application confirmation page and the fee payment receipt. L visa applicants will have to take with them, the L blanket petition and Form I-129S, Non-immigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition, to the interview. The visa interview will help the consular officer to determine whether you are eligible for a temporary worker visa. If your application does not require administrative processing, a visa will be issued to you and you will be required to collect your passport from the consular office or it will be sent you by courier. If administrative processing is required, you will be informed about that and a visa will not be issued to you, immediately.

Goto Top