Welcome back. Go to your forms.


How to Find Out Immigration Status?

How to Find Out Immigration Status?The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) keeps the immigration records of immigrants in the U.S. Some—but not all—of these records are made available under the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIA), which you can use to get a person’s immigration file from the USCIS. But you’ll need to get permission from that person first.

To get immigration information about an immigrant, you need to file Form G-639, Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIA) Request, with the USCIS. You can get this form on the USCIS website or by calling the USCIS Forms Request Line at (800) 870-3676.

You can either complete the form by hand or fill it out on a computer and then print it out. You must fill it out completely and give all the information that is required.

Form G-639: Step-by-Step Instructions

You fill out all five parts of the form:

1. You must check the box next to the statement that applies to you—whether you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder). You must also say whether you’re asking to see your own records or someone else’s. If you check the box next to “Other,” you must fill in the required information in the space that is provided.

2. You need to describe the records you’re asking for. You don’t have to answer all the questions in this section. But you need to give the information that the USCIS needs or your request will be delayed. Check the box next to “Complete Alien File” if you want to see the complete immigration file. If you need some other information, check the box beside “Other” and explain the purpose of your request.

3. If you are filing Form G-639 to see the immigration records of someone besides you, that person must fill out this part of the form.

4. Enter the name, address, contact number, email address, date of birth and place of birth of the person who’s information you want to see.

5. Sign the form and agree to pay the costs for getting the information. You will also have to enter your name, address, telephone number and birth date if you are asking to see the records of someone besides you.

Form Filing Fee

Don’t pay the filing fee until the USCIS tells you to. You can pay the fee with a money order or a check. Do NOT send cash.

Supporting Documents

Your application packet has to include some supporting documents. The USCIS could ask you for additional documents with a Request for Evidence (RFE). You would need to follow the instructions on the RFE and send the additional documents. To prevent delays, you should respond to the RFE as soon as possible.

Where to File Your Form

There are four ways to file your form.


Fax: to (816) 350-5785.

Regular mail:

National Records Center (NRC)

FOIA/PA Office, P.O. Box 648010

Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010

Overnight or certified mail:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

National Records Center, FOIA/PA Office

150 Space Center Loop, Suite 300

Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-2139

Goto Top