Welcome back. Go to your forms.


How to Get a Refugee Travel Document?

Get a Refugee Travel DocumentAn individual who is granted asylum or refugee status in America may take a quick trip abroad, if he holds a refugee travel document. As an asylee or a refugee, if you travel abroad without a travel document, you will not be permitted to return to the United States. In order to travel hassle free, you must obtain this document before leaving the United States. You may file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document and obtain a refugee travel document, if you are required to travel to a foreign country for personal or emergency reasons. A refugee travel document will allow you to travel abroad and return to America. However, you cannot travel as soon as you file your application and you must appear for biometrics before leaving the country and your application will not be considered if you miss your biometrics appointment.

After you file an application for a refugee travel document, you may embark on your trip, after appearing for biometrics and in this case, you may request the USCIS to mail your travel document to the overseas consulate from where you can collect your document. However, you may also remain in the country and travel abroad after receiving your travel document. You are likely to receive your refugee travel document within three or four months from the date of your application. Hence, you must file an application for a travel document as soon as you plan your trip. This travel document is good for a year and you cannot renew this document. Moreover, you cannot apply for this document while in a foreign country and to become eligible for a refugee travel document, you must be an asylee or a refugee. You may use this document in place of a passport and a travel document resembles a US passport.

Green Card holders may file this form to get re-entry permits, if they wish to remain in foreign countries for less than 2 years. A Green Card holder who files Form I-131 for a travel document, must report for his biometrics appointment before he departs. An undocumented immigrant cannot file Form I-131 and a person who has filed Form I-485, may file Form I-131 for an advance parole document, if he seeks to travel abroad, while his petition is still pending. Eligible dependents of refugees and asylees also must obtain refugee travel documents to travel abroad. People who are granted refugee status or asylum in the United States, will be placed in removal proceedings or they may not be allowed to re-enter the United States, if they travel abroad without a travel document.

Goto Top