Welcome back. Go to your forms.


What is the Difference Between the USCIS Form N-600 and Form N-400?

Purpose of a US Citizen CertificateForm N-400 and Form N-600, both have to do with US citizenship, but these forms do not serve the same purpose and an immigrant must file Form N-400, to become a naturalized US citizen and Form N-600 is meant for people who acquire or derive citizenship from their parents and who need to obtain US citizenship certificates.

Who can file Form N-400, Application for Naturalization?

Lawful permanent residents of the United States, who seek to obtain US citizenship, will have to go through the naturalization process, by filing Form N-400. Any foreign national, who is above age 18 and who holds a United States Green Card, can go through this process and obtain US citizenship. However, there are few other prerequisites that must be met by a Green Card holder who wants to become a US citizen.

Eligibility requirements

You can file your US citizenship application, if you have been living in the United States for around five years and if you have maintained good moral character. Similarly, you must have obeyed the immigration laws of the country and you must be proficient in English. Moreover, you must be familiar with the laws, government and the history of America. You can become a US citizen only if you pass the naturalization test and to get through that test, you must be good in English and you must be aware of the country’s laws and history. If you successfully go through the citizenship process, you will be issued a naturalization certificate as a proof of citizenship and you can remain in the country as a US citizen.

Who can file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship?

Children of US citizens, who were born on foreign soil, may file Form N-600, to obtain citizenship certificates. As the children of US citizens automatically become US citizens, they need not apply for naturalization and they can just file Form N-600 and obtain citizenship certificates.

Eligibility requirements

You may file Form N-600, if you are already a US citizen. If you were born in a foreign country and if your parents are US citizens or if your parents are immigrants and if you were born in the United States, you may file Form N-600, to obtain a citizenship document. In this case, you need not go through the complicated naturalization process and you need not take the citizenship test and the oath of Allegiance and you just need to file Form N-600 and claim your US citizenship. Filing this form alone may not be sufficient and to qualify, you must attach copies of your parents’ US citizenship documents or your birth certificate, if you were born on US soil, along with Form N-600. After the approval of your Form N-600, you will be issued a certificate of citizenship with which you can prove that you are a US citizen.

Goto Top