Welcome back. Go to your forms.


Which is the Easiest Way to Get a Green Card in the United States?

How to Adjust Your Status and Get a Green CardPeople who look forward to stay permanently in the United States and make the country their permanent home, will be granted Green Cards and there are few different ways to immigrate to the United States. Citizens of foreign countries can immigrate to America if their family members in the United States are willing to sponsor them. Similarly, if a US employer offers a foreign national a full time job in the United States, the foreign national can immigrate to America if the employer sponsors him for a Green Card. Citizens of other countries who are granted asylum or refugee status in America can obtain Green Cards, if they are eligible. Green Card lottery is another way through which foreign nationals can obtain United States Green Cards.

These processes are quite complicated and these processes include paperwork and interviews and many foreign nationals wait for several years to immigrate to the United States after completing the required paperwork. That is because the country grants only a certain number of immigrant visas to foreign nationals every year. However, you will soon become eligible for a US Green Card, if you get married to a US citizen. Similarly, you can get a Green Card sooner, if you have a US citizen spouse, parent or child above 21, in the United States, who is willing to sponsor you for a US Green Card. In this case, your US citizen relative must file Form I-130, to sponsor you. Such immediate relatives need not wait for a long time to get Green Cards and Form I-130 filed on behalf of immediate relatives will be processed faster. Similarly, there is no limit in the number of visas issued in this particular category.

However, spouses of US citizens who are newly married will be issued two year Green Cards. USCIS issues two year Green Cards to identify people who get married to obtain lawful status in the country. These cards cannot be renewed and the holder of a conditional card must file an application to remove conditions, along with her US citizen spouse. USCIS will not accept applications that are not filed jointly by both the spouses. If the USCIS officers feel that the marriage is fraudulent, they will not grant lawful status to the conditional resident. However, if your relationship is genuine, you may apply to remove conditions on your conditional status along with your partner. If you are found to be eligible, USCIS will approve your petition and issue you a 10 year Green Card.

Waiting time varies and is different for different categories of relatives. Immediate relatives may not be required to wait for many years but other categories of relatives will have to wait for more than ten years to obtain Green Cards. Green Card lottery program will also help you to get a Green Card sooner. But citizens of all the countries are not eligible to take part in the DV lottery program.

Goto Top