Welcome back. Go to your forms.


August 2013 Visa Bulletin: F-2A Category is Current

The US Department of State has released the Visa Bulletin for August 2013. This visa bulletin contains good news for the spouses and children of Green Card holders who belong to the F2A family preference category. This F2A category is meant for the immediate relatives of Green Card holders. In August 2013, the F2A category will become current, for citizens of all the countries and the FB-1 category will continue to move forward.

According to the US Department of Homeland Security, this family-based category for the immediate relatives of permanent residents will become current for August. If you are a permanent resident and if your spouse and children who hold non-immigrant visas are currently living with you in America, they can file their adjustment of status applications, in August, if you have already filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for them. After filing Form I-485 for adjustment of status, they can remain with you in America. They will also become eligible for employment authorization documents and for travel documents. Your spouse can apply for a driver’s license and your children can study in America. They can also obtain state identification documents and social security cards.

If you have already filed Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative for your spouse and children, they can file Form I-485, in the next month. Likewise, you can now start preparing the paperwork and file Form I-130 for your immediate relatives in August, if you have not yet filed any immigrant petitions for your children and spouse.

If you are yet to get married to your fiancé(e) who is a foreign national, you can get married to him/her in July. You can then file an immigrant petition on his/her behalf in August. This also applies to the same sex couples, living in American states that are not against gay marriages, as the United States now recognizes same sex marriages. But remember that you cannot file a petition for your spouse and children who are now undocumented immigrants.

If you believe that you are eligible, start preparing your paper work and file Form I-130 and Form I-485 now!

Goto Top