Welcome back. Go to your forms.


Changes to Date of Birth and Name on Citizenship Certificates

Citizenship Certificates

If you lose your U.S. citizenship certificate, you can get it replaced by filing Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. You can also file this form for the following reasons:

  • To request a replacement certificate, if the USCIS committed a clerical error in preparing your citizenship certificate.
  • To correct your date of birth on your citizenship certificate. Your request to change your date of birth will be accepted only if a U.S. state court order or similar state vital record recognizes the new date of birth.
  • To get a new citizenship certificate with your new name, if your name has been legally changed.
  • To get your mutilated certificate replaced.
  • If you have legally changed your gender, to get a new citizenship certificate with your new gender.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has issued a new policy guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual related to change in date of birth and name per U.S. state court orders. USCIS recognizes that the date of birth of children born in foreign countries is not always recorded accurately. Under the new policy, if the adoptive parents obtain evidence of a mistake in the name or date of birth of their children, USCIS will issue new citizenship certificates with the corrected name and date of birth.

Under this policy, USCIS will issue initial and replacement certificates with new date of birth if a state court in the U.S. recognizes the change. Likewise, new certificates with new names other than those on foreign records will be issued if U.S. state courts recognize the legal name change.

Goto Top