Welcome back. Go to your forms.


Immigration Fact of the Week (December 05 – 11)

Can I Study in the U.S. With a Visitor Visa?

Can I Study in the U.S. With a Visitor Visa?The primary purpose of a B-2 visitor visa is tourism. If you wish to study in the U.S., you must apply for F or M student visas.

According to the U.S. Department of State, a B nonimmigrant visa holder will be permitted to take a short-term course that “is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate.”

This means taking a short-term recreational course in the U.S., while on a visitor visa may not jeopardise your nonimmigrant status in the U.S. A very short-term class, for example a two day cooking or an art class while on vacation in the U.S. or a two-day workshop, may be allowed on a B visa.

But you must not take admission in a school or a college in the U.S. while on a visitor visa and start studying there. Even if it is for a short duration, you will not be permitted to do so, if you will end up getting a U.S. degree or an academic certificate.

Check out our immigration blog for more immigration facts!

Goto Top