Welcome back. Go to your forms.


Immigration Fact of the Week (March 27 – April 2)

Green card for spouseHow Long Will It Take for My Husband or Wife to Get a Green Card?

The wait time depends on different factors. The processing time will depend on the country in which your husband or wife resides and on whether you are a U.S. citizen or a green card holder.

To begin the process, you will have to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Your husband or wife is your immediate relative. If you are a U.S. citizen and your husband or wife is in the U.S. currently, you can file Form I-130 and Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status together.

If you are a green card holder and if your husband or wife is in the U.S., you can file Form I-130 and wait until a visa number is available. Then the beneficiary can file the I-485 application to adjust status. This applies only if your husband or wife is in the U.S. on a valid visa. If the beneficiary is not in the U.S. when you file the immigrant petition, they may go through consular processing abroad.

You can check the processing times for the different U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services service centers here.

Check out our immigration blog for more immigration facts!

Goto Top