Welcome back. Go to your forms.


N-600 Form Details to Obtain Child’s Certificate of Citizenship

Certificate of CitizenshipA person who needs to obtain a certificate of citizenship may file Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship. But individuals who automatically become U.S. citizens and children of U.S. citizens born on foreign soil alone can file petitions for citizenship certificates. Hence, this form is meant for the individuals who have acquired citizenship at birth or derived citizenship after their birth. Such individuals need not apply for U.S. citizenship and they can just file petitions for and obtain U.S. citizenship certificates.

In order to apply for a certificate of citizenship for your child, you and your spouse or either one of you must have been U.S. citizens when your child was born. This is applicable to both, native and naturalized U.S. citizens. If you are a U.S. citizen and if you are applying for a citizenship certificate for your child, you will have to prove that your child is legally living with you and if your spouse is a U.S. citizen, you will have to establish that your child is in the legal custody of your spouse. However, your child must be a permanent resident of the country. Likewise, your child must have been legitimated by you or your spouse who is a U.S. citizen, prior to your child’s 16th birthday. You can also apply for a certificate of citizenship for your child, if you or your spouse or both became naturalized U.S. citizens before your child turned 18.

You need to make sure that you submit all the relevant supporting documents with Form N-600. If you and your spouse are U.S. citizens, you will have to submit copies of your birth certificates or naturalization certificates. You must submit copies of your marriage certificate and your child’s birth certificate with your name and/or your spouse’s name. Read the form instructions prior to completing the form and submit the form with the right filing fee and supporting documents. If you are your child’s biological or adopted U.S. citizen father, you must enter information about you in the 3rd part of Form N-600 and if citizenship is being claimed through the child’s mother who is a U.S. citizen, information about the mother must be entered in the 4th part. This form can be filed by your child and if your child is a minor, you or your spouse may file this form on your minor child’s behalf.

Goto Top