Things to Know About Temporary Protected Status (TPR): Form I-821

Eligible nationals of designated countries may apply for temporary immigration status by filing Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status.

What is temporary protected status?

The Secretary of Homeland Security designates foreign countries for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). TPS is granted if conditions in the country prevent its nationals from returning home safely or if for some reason the country is not able to properly handle the homecoming of its nationals.

Reasons a Country be designated for TPS

TPS is granted in circumstances such as civil unrest, armed conflict, and natural disasters.

Who is eligible for TPS

People from the following countries are eligible for Temporary Protected Status that expires on the listed date. If the conditions that caused the country to be designated for TPS continue past the expiration date, TPS status is often extended.

  • El Salvador – March 9, 2018
  • Guinea – May 21, 2017
  • Haiti – January 22, 2018
  • Honduras – January 5, 2018
  • Liberia – May 21, 2017
  • Nepal – June 24, 2018
  • Nicaragua – January 5, 2018
  • Sierra Leone – May 21, 2017
  • Somalia – September 17, 2018
  • Sudan – November 2, 2018
  • South Sudan – May 2, 2019
  • Syria – March 31, 2018
  • Yemen – September 3, 2018

What are the benefits of TPS?

Benefits of Temporary Protected Status include provisional protection against deportation, permission to work in the United States for a limited period of time, and the ability to travel to other countries and return to the U.S. when you get your travel document approved prior to departure.

Application Process Followed for TPS

In order to apply for temporary protected status(TPS), you must be a citizen of a foreign country that has been designated for temporary protected status by the Department of Homeland Security. A person without a nationality, who had last habitually resided in a foreign country eligible for TPS also may apply.

In order to apply for TPS, you must check with the nearest USCIS office for designations that are currently in force.

In order to apply for TPS using Form I-821, you must provide documents, proving you are a citizen of a foreign country, which is eligible for TPS. You must also provide evidence about your residence in the United States and your date of entry into the United States. At times you may be required by the USCIS to provide original documents, which will be returned to you after verification.

In order to prove your nationality, you may be required to provide copies of your passport and birth certificate along with photo identification and national identity from your home country, with your photo or fingerprint. Your passport and Form I-94, Arrival or departure record may be provided to prove your date of entry into the United States.

Employment records, rent or utility receipts, school records, medical or hospital records, church attestations, money order receipts, or other relevant documents may be submitted to prove your residence in America.

If you are unable to submit the required documents, you may submit an affidavit to the USCIS showing your unsuccessful efforts to obtain those documents. You may also use affidavits to prove your residence in the United States and date of entry into the United States.

If you are a person who is applying for initial registration, re-registration, and renewal, you will be required to submit biometrics which includes fingerprints, signature, and your photographs. There are also certain waivers in the collection of biometrics, which will be decided by the USCIS.

The USCIS will send the TPS applicants, a notice scheduling the biometrics appointment at the Application Support Center. The applicant must appear for the biometrics collection and failure to do so may result in the denial of the TPS application. A separate fee for filing the form and biometrics collection must be paid exactly as required by the USCIS.

Work Permit for TPS

You will also be required to file Form I-765, Application for Employment authorization. Every applicant irrespective of age must file this form, even if you do not seek employment authorization.

Travel Permit for TPS

If you have TPS and wish to travel outside the United States, you must apply for travel authorization. Travel authorization for TPS is issued as an advance parole document if USCIS determines it is appropriate to approve your request. This document gives you permission to leave the United States and return during a specified period of time. To apply for advance parole, you must file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. 

After you file for TPS

If your I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status, is denied by the USCIS, you will be informed about the denial, in the denial notice. You will also be notified whether you have 30 days to appeal to the USCIS.