The cost to get U.S. citizenship is $725 which includes the Form N-400 filing fee of $640 and a biometric fee of $85.
There are exceptions to the fees that apply to those who are 75 years of age or older (if this is your case, you may not have to pay a biometric fee) and certain members of the military (if this is your case, you may not have to pay any fees).
U.S. Citizenship Fee Waiver
If you can’t pay the fees to file Form N-400, you may be able to request the citizenship fee waiver using Form I-912, Request for Fee Waiver.
To be able to receive a fee waiver, you must complete Form I-912 and provide supporting evidence. Please keep in mind that you will have to provide sufficient evidence to be granted the fee waiver. Your request for a fee waiver will be based on one of three situations:
1. You, your spouse, or the head of the household where you live receive a means-tested benefit.
- A means-tested benefit is a public benefit issued to you that is either Federally, state or locally-funded. It’s granted by a government benefits agency and you receive it based on your income and resources. Some examples of means-tested benefits are food stamps, public housing, Medicaid or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.
2. Your household income is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- The Federal Poverty Guidelines change every year. It takes into account the income of an entire household and how many members are part of the household. The Federal Poverty Guidelines can be seen here.
3. You have a financial hardship.
- Financial hardships are considered on a case-by-case basis. The immigration officer will take a look at the evidence you provide (such as documents that show a decline in your standard of living due to lack of employment or underemployment) and determine if your financial hardship is significant enough that pay the naturalization fee would be impossible for you.
Mistakes in your citizenship application can lead to rejections and denials. So prepare your U.S. citizenship application using our online software and submit your application successfully.