Document Checklist for N-400, US Citizenship Application

The application process for American citizenship is a bit complex. You need to use Form N-400, Application for Naturalization for citizenship. This form must be filed with the required fees and certain supporting documents.

Below is a checklist of the supporting documents you will need to send with your citizenship application.

  • Photocopies of your green card. In case of a lost, stolen or damaged card, you need to get it replaced first. Submit a copy of the receipt for your Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
  • Two color photographs. Remember to write your name in pencil at the back of the photos.
  • Application filing fee. You can attach a check or money order for the fee. You can pay the application filing fee and the fee for biometrics in one check or money order.
  • Legal documents with your new name if you have changed your name and it is different from that on your green card.

Submit the following if you are applying for naturalization based on marriage to a U.S. citizen:

  • One of the following documents of your husband or wife to prove that he or she has been a citizen of the U.S. for the past 3 years.
    • Birth certificate or
    • Naturalization certificate or
    • Certificate of Citizenship or
    • U.S. passport or
    • Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America
    • Your marriage certificate.
  • Divorce decree(s), annulments or death certificate(s), in case of prior marriages. Submit the required documents as proof of termination of your previous marriage(s).
  • Bank accounts, birth certificates of children, tax receipts, etc., to prove that you and your spouse are legally married and are living together.

If you are applying for citizenship based on your U.S. military service, submit:

  • Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service

If you had traveled abroad for more than six months after you became a green card holder, to show that had kept ties to the U.S. during that time abroad, you must submit

  • IRS tax return transcripts
  • Pay stubs or rent receipts

Submit documents related to criminal records, if applicable:

  • Official statement by the law enforcement agency that held you stating that no charges were filed
  • Complete arrest records, conviction order or dismissal records, if charges were filed
  • Copies of sentencing records, if you were placed in sentencing or rehabilitative programs
  • Records showing that you have completed your criminal sentence(s)

Tax related documents:

  • IRS Tax Form 1722
  • Copies of tax returns that you filed in the past years
  • Copies of correspondences with the IRS, if you have ever failed to file tax returns after becoming a legal resident

If you are applying for a disability exception to the citizenship test requirements, submit:

However, depending on your individual situation, you may be required to submit additional supporting documents. Check out the USCIS instructions before filing your form to make sure you are submitting all the required supporting documents.

Get immigration and naturalization tips delivered to your inbox by creating a free account!