Renewing an Employment Authorization Document 

An Employment Authorization Document is commonly known as a work permit. Work permits are generally granted for a period of 1 or 2 years subject to renewal.

If your EAD has expired or will expire within six months, you need to file a new Form I-765 along with the filing fee and supporting documents. Before you file for a renewal of your EAD,  you need to make sure that you continue to be eligible for the EAD

The filing fee for Form I-765 is $410. Since only certain categories of applicants need to pay the filing fee, you can check the I-765 filing instructions to see if you need to pay the filing fee. 

Applicants belonging to the following categories will also have to pay $85 as a biometrics fee along with the filing fee:

  • (c)(33) Requesting consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA);
  • (c)(35) A beneficiary of an approved employment-based immigrant petition and you are facing compelling circumstances;
  • (c)(36) A spouse or unmarried dependent child of a beneficiary of an employment-based immigrant petition who is facing compelling circumstances; or
  • (c)(37) An applicant for Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) long-term resident status.

The fee needs to be included with your application If you are unable to pay the fee, you may apply for a fee waiver by including Form I-912 (Request for Fee Waiver) in your application package. Categories (c)(33) and (c)(37) are not eligible for a fee waiver. You can pay the filing fee with a personal or cashier’s check or money order.

You need to include the following documents with your EAD renewal application:

  • A copy of your last EAD 
  • A copy of your Form I-94 (front and back), or a printout of your electronic Form I-94
  • A copy of your passport
  • Two passport-style photographs  

Processing time for an EAD renewal

It takes about 60-90 days to process an application for an EAD renewal. You will be able to continue to work once you receive your new card. 

In case you do not receive your card within the specified time, you can request USCIS for an interim EAD. All you need to do is fix an appointment with your local USCIS office. When you appear for your appointment, you need to carry the application receipt notice that you would have received from the USCIS as proof that your application is being processed. An interim EAD will be valid for 240 days.