How can I replace a lost or stolen green card?

To replace your lost or stolen green card you need to file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card with the USCIS, along with a copy of your green card (if you have one), supporting documents, and filing fee.

You can complete and file Form I-90 online or by mail. To electronically file Form I-90 to replace your lost green card, you just need to go to the USCIS e-filing page and create an account. You will then be able to access the form which you need to complete and submit. As soon as you e-file your green card replacement application you will receive a confirmation receipt with a receipt number. You must mail the required supporting documents to the address printed on the confirmation receipt.

The fee to file an application to replace a lost or stolen green card is $540. This fee includes the form filing fee of $455 and the biometrics services fee of $85. You can pay this fee online by making use of your credit or debit card while e-filing Form I-90 and by a check or money order if you file the paper form.

What next?

On receipt of your application along with the supporting documents, and fees the USCIS will send you Form I-797C, Notice of Action. You can use the receipt number on the notice to track your case status.

Within a week or two, the USCIS will send you a notice regarding the date, time, and place for your biometrics appointment. Make sure you keep the appointment and take any additional documents with you if the USCIS requests any.

Once your application is approved you will receive your new green card by mail. In case you move before you receive your green card, make sure you inform the USCIS about the change in address.

How long does it take to get the replacement green card?

USCIS takes on average 3.5-15.5 months to process a green card replacement application. You can check the USCIS website to know the current processing time, as the processing times are bound to change frequently.

What can I use as proof of status while I wait for the replacement card?

While waiting for your Green Card, you can visit the closest USCIS office and request that the I-551 stamp be added to your passport. This will help you to establish that you have filed for a green card replacement. You can use your passport as evidence of your status until you get your Green Card.

What if I lost my card abroad?

If you are in a foreign country and if you lose your green card there, file a complaint with the local police and get a police report. Next, you need to contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy and follow the instructions given to you by a Consular Officer or an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Officer, abroad.