What are the government fees to apply for Citizenship?
The following is a breakdown of the government fees typically associated with Form N-400:
USCIS filing fee: $640
Biometrics fee: $85
Citizenship Application Form N-400
Form N-400 is used to apply for US citizenship through the naturalization process. Lawful permanent residents (also known as green card holders) of the United States, who meet the eligibility requirements, can file N-400 form to request citizenship.
US Citizenship Eligibility Requirements
To be able to apply for citizenship through naturalization, you have to meet the following requirements. You should:
- Be 18 years of age or above.
- A lawful permanent resident for 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Have maintained continuous residence during the past 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Have maintained physical presence during the past 5 years (3 years if married to a US citizen).
- Have good moral character.
- Have basic knowledge of English.
- Have basic knowledge of US government and history.
- Be willing to take the Oath of Allegiance.
Citizenship Application Process
If you meet the citizenship eligibility requirements, you will then need to file Form N-400, Application for US Citizenship through naturalization with the USCIS. The USCIS will check the N400 application for accuracy and completeness. Once processing begins you will receive an application receipt notice from USCIS. This will be followed by an appointment scheduled by the USCIS for the applicant at your local Application Support Center (ASC). You will have to go to the ASC for biometric services. After completing the fingerprinting process, the FBI will conduct a standard background check.
Next comes the scheduling for the citizenship test and interview. The citizenship test will be conducted by an immigration officer who will evaluate your knowledge of English, American history and government. Once the test and interview are completed, you will be invited for the citizenship oath ceremony where the Oath of Allegiance will be taken. Once you take the oath, you become a full-fledged citizen of the United States.
Citizenship Benefits & Responsibilities:
There are several benefits granted to those who become citizens of the United States through the naturalization process. The benefits are the same as those granted to US citizens by birth.
- The Right to Vote: A Fundamental Right of a U.S. Citizen
- A Chance to Reunite Families
- A Way to Protect your Children's Right to Remain in the U.S.
- Protection in Cases Involving Illegal Activity
- International Travel Made Easier
Benefits of Using USCitizenship.info:
At USCitizenship.info, we believe that the process of becoming a U.S. citizen should be easy to understand, simple to complete, and accessible to every qualified person. The purpose of our site is to meet all of these goals.
By utilizing our service, our customers ensure that their application is mistake-free based on the information they enter, so that when their application arrives at USCIS (formerly known as the INS) it is processed right away with no delays and not returned to them, which could potentially cost them additional time and money.
Our customized instructions tell our customers what to send and where to send it; you don't have to read through complicated instructions to figure this out on your own.
We also provide customer support via e-mail 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as well as phone support to our customers during normal business hours. Please feel free to contact us. We would love to hear from you.
US Citizenship Test & Interview
The United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) will test and evaluate your ability to read, write and speak English, knowledge of American history and the government of the United States.
At USCitizenship.info we designed this DVD to help you pass the new U.S. Citizenship Test & Interview DVD.
Pass the New U.S. Citizenship Test & Interview DVD includes:
- Subtitles in Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean.
- An interactive guide on U.S. history, civics and government.
- English writing tests.
- An official USCS practice interview.
- Expert tips on how to prepare for your interview questions.
- And much, much, more.
- Study & Prepare for the Citizenship Test!